Posted By thecircusblog on July 3, 2009
Shorty was a little bull elephant and I worried about him and the rest of my animals contracting Valley Fever. Maricopa county is noted for this fungus which lives in the upper portion of the soil and when disturbed….it becomes airborn. It causes death in many types of animals. Humans can catch this disease and in some cases it can be fatal. I lost all my chimps to Valley Fever between 1978 and 1979. In the fall of 1979 I sent the rest of my show animals to Circus Suarze where I knew they would be much safer.